On 18 October 2010 16:56, Juan Sequeda <juanfeder...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody
> I just stumbled on XRI and XDI:
> http://www.xdi.org/modules/tut3/index.php?id=2
> A quick overview of this seems that it is the same thing as Linked Data. XRI
> are identifiers (URIs) and XDI is a data interchange format (RDF)
> "...n which XML data from any data source can be identified, exchanged,
> linked, and synchronized into a machine-readable "dataweb" just as HTML
> pages from any content source are linked into the human-readable Web today.
> What makes this interchange format possible is identifying, describing, and
> versioning data using XRIs."
> This is the first that I've heard about this? Who know about the status of
> this? Who is adopting this?

Last I heard the W3C TAG's decision was not to take forward the
development of XRI or specs containing XRI, but rather, to explore the
use of URIs as the value proposition of the WWW [1].

Subsequently, the OASIS membership voted against it becoming a spec,
which was perhaps not received as well as it could have been, by the
folks at on the OASIS XRI committee [2].

It's currently still mentioned in some pockets still, namely some of
the OpenID specs.

The future of XRI I believe is uncertain, with some saying it has died
and saying it is alive and well [3]

However a new version, 3.0 is coming out later this year.  It is
purported to have addressed the concerns of the TAG [3]

It will be interesting to see what the new version brings, when it comes out.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2008May/0078
[2] http://www.equalsdrummond.name/?p=130
[3] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.openid.general/12901