On Jun 15, 2011, at 1:35 PM, Jason Borro wrote:

> I agree with your sentiments Danny, fwiw.  The current scheme is a burden on
> publishers for the sake of a handful of applications that wish to "refer to
> these information resources themselves", making them "unable to talk about
> Web pages using the Web description language RDF".
>
> What about minting a new URI at
> "http://information.resourcifier.net/encodedURI"; or similar for talking about
> such things?  The service could even add value by tracking last update times,
> content types, encodings, etc.
>
> Jason
>
> p.s. Don't bother criticizing the half baked idea, I thought about it for <
> 10 seconds.  The point is 100 alternatives could have been hashed out in the
> time spent discussing and implementing http-range-14.

I confess to finding this kind of sneering remark rather annoying. If you think
it is this trivial to work out some 'alternative', why don't you come up with a
few actual ideas and see what happens when they get a little peer review? Your
idea, above, hardly makes first base, as Im sure you already realized when you
added the p.s. So why not try inventing one that has a snowballs chance in hell
of actually working? Im sure that the world would be delighted if you could
solve this trivial problem in 5 ways, let alone a hundred.

If you agree with Danny that a description can be a substitute for the thing it
describes, then I am waiting to hear how one of you will re-write classical
model theory to accommodate this classical use/mention error. You might want to
start by reading Korzybski's 'General Semantics'.

Pat