On Mon, 12 May 2008 22:27:05 +0200, Sunava Dutta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 1.       Mentioning for each header the reasons for restriction. (I
> think security is paramount but for shipped implementations I would
> hesitate to reduce surface area of attack unless there is a compelling
> reason. It's much harder to restrict once we ship!)

The restrictions on allowed headers have come forth based on
implementation feedback from Opera, Apple, and Mozilla. If you have
feedback that suggests the list of headers should be different, please let us know.

[Sunava Dutta] Ah, sorry I'm not being clear. What I'm asking for is the reasons for why the headers are blocked (based on implementation feedback, but what is the feedback per blocked header?) to be called out for each header in the spec. Otherwise it seems arbitrary.

I see. (Your original message seemed to imply the list was not correct.) To be honest, and as I've stated in my reply to Julian, I'm not sure what the rationale is for some of them. Hopefully implementors can chime in on this thread and provide feedback for why each of the headers listed in setRequestHeader() is blocked.

I'm not sure if that information should be included in the specification itself though. Generally that's not done in specifications as far as I can tell.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>