Anne van Kesteren wrote:
On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 13:00:35 +0100, Sean Hogan <shogu...@westnet.com.au> wrote:
I don't think the presented XBL use case is valid:

"An XBL binding allows full access to the document it is bound to and therefore cross-origin XBL usage is prohibited. The resource sharing policy enables cross-origin XBL bindings. If the user is authenticated with the server that hosts the XBL widget it is possible to have a user-specific cross-origin bindings."

I'm not sure whether "an XBL binding allows full access to the document it is bound to" is talking about accessing the DOM of the bound-document or the binding-document, but I don't think either case requires access-control.

I don't see where the XBL spec says that the bound-document must have access to the binding-document, so I don't understand why cross-origin restrictions would apply.

And I don't understand why we should prohibit the XBL binding having access to the bound-document. That's the whole point of XBL, and we already have the same situation with <script src>. If you don't trust the XBL bindings then don't reference them, just like with scripts.

That example is based on

  http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/CR-xbl-20070316/#security

and maybe some discussion with Ian regarding this. It's been a while.

Does that help?

Ok, I can see that the use case is consistent with what is in the XBL spec. I prefer the following wording:

A XBL binding allows the document to which it is bound to have full access to the document in which it is defined; therefore cross-origin XBL usage is prohibited.

I disagree with the security context of a XBL document being the bound document, but that isn't relevant to this thread.