The draft minutes from the October 1 D Widgets voice conference are available at the following and copied below:

 http://www.w3.org/2009/10/01-wam-minutes.html

WG Members - if you have any comments, corrections, etc., please send them to the public-webapps mail list before 8 October 2009 (the next Widgets voice conference); otherwise these minutes will be considered Approved.

-Regards, Art Barstow

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

                          Widgets Voice Conf

   [2]Agenda

[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 2009JulSep/1493.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2009/10/01-wam-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Art, Marcin, Frederick, Robin, Steven, David, Benoit

   Regrets
          Josh, Arve, JereK

   Chair
          Art

   Scribe
          Art

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]Review and tweak agenda
         2. [6]Announcements
         3. [7]DigSig spec: Test Assertions and Test Suite Status
         4. [8]P&C spec: Test Suite questions
         5. [9]P&C spec: bug in Rule for Identifying the Media Type of
            a File
         6. [10]P&C: Proposal to move Conformance Checker assertions
            from P&C spec to another doc
         7. [11]P&C: Test suite status
         8. [12]P&C: Next steps & planning
         9. [13]TWI spec: Closing widget Interface issues
        10. [14]TWI spec: TWI and View Modes
        11. [15]TWI spec: A&E LC comments
        12. [16]TWI spec: Status of LC comment responses and their
            tracking
        13. [17]View Modes Media Feature Spec
        14. [18]Widget URI spec
        15. [19]AOB
     * [20]Summary of Action Items

   <scribe> ScribeNick: ArtB

   <scribe> Scribe: Art

   Date: 1 October 2009

Review and tweak agenda

   AB: Agenda posted Sep 30 (
   [21]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009JulSep/14
   93.html ). Any change requests?

[21] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 2009JulSep/1493.html

   [ None ]

Announcements

   AB: any short announcements? Reminder to register for the Nov 2-3
   f2f meeting and TPAC (
   [22]http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35125/TPAC09/ )
   ... any other?

     [22] http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35125/TPAC09/

   SP: please do register; early bird registration is Oct 5

DigSig spec: Test Assertions and Test Suite Status

   AB: earlier this week Dom sent an update on the DigSig Test Suite (
   [23]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009JulSep/14
   68.html ). He and MWTS continue to do good work including a DigSig
   Test Plan ( [24]http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-digsig/tests/ ).
   Is there anything else to add re this test suite?

[23] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 2009JulSep/1468.html
     [24] http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-digsig/tests/

   FH: it seems we can use assertions for syntactic checking, and then
   compare signature values for signature generation and verification
   ... not sure on the goal

   AB: would you please FH ask your question re goal on the mail list?

   FH: yes; and I'll add something to the IRC log

   AB: anything else on the DigSig test suite?
   ... any info to share on who is implementing this spec?

   <drogersuk> zakim unmute drogersus

   <drogersuk> zakim unmute drogersuk

   RB: is Nokia implementing it?

   <drogersuk> grr zakim

   AB: I am not aware of any information Nokia has made about
   implementing widget specs

   DR: I think you can search the lists
   ... think the question could be answered by looking at the mail
   lists
   ... is Nokia implemmenting the DigSig and can you Art find out?

   AB: I answered the first part of the question
   ... I can find out what has been stated publicly about what we are
   implemting

   DR: that would be good
   ... there is a fair amount of info

   <drogersuk> no

   <drogersuk> google

   <drogersuk> :-)

   DR: not sure about DigSig spec but probably more about P+C spec

   AB: I am not aware of any public statements that Nokia has made
   regarding implementing Widget specs

   <darobin>
   [25]http://bondisdk.limofoundation.org/docs/Signing_a_Web_Widget/

     [25] http://bondisdk.limofoundation.org/docs/Signing_a_Web_Widget/

   <drogersuk> Please can you go away and find out?

   AB: David, please enter your question into IRC

   <drogersuk> If you can make a public statement in relation to
   implementation of digsig

   AB: AFAIK, Nokia employes are not allowed to make public statements
   about their implementation plans

   DR: ok; that's what I was asking

   <drogersuk> thanks

   AB: anything else about impl?

   RB: Aplix has released some info
   ... it supports signing

   FH: it would be good to have a list of links

   RB: yes, of course
   ... Marcos, are you implementing DigSig?

   MC: not sure
   ... we can only confirm we are implementing P+C
   ... I can check though

   AB: FH, as to your question, see
   [26]http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/wiki/WidgetTesting
   ... we can add new info

     [26] http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/wiki/WidgetTesting

P&C spec: Test Suite questions

   AB: Marcos sent an email that enumerates spec redundancies that were
   found during the test fest (
   [27]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009JulSep/14
   77.html ). He agreed with all but one of the redundancies.
   ... if anyone disagrees with Marcos' proposals, send your feedback
   to public-webapps
   ... I think there was exchange between RB and MC on one of them
   ... your proposals seemed reasonable to me

[27] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 2009JulSep/1477.html

   <darobin> should we look at agreeing on
   [28]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009JulSep/14
   88.html ?

[28] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 2009JulSep/1488.html

   MC: need to say what to do if zip isn't labeled
   ... should it be a must if from hard disk

   RB: but if on the disc, system could give you something different
   than if from the net

   MC: do we make this a must?

   RB: I don't feel strongly on this

   AB: so wrt ta-VngNBkhUXz, leave it as is?

   MC: yes

   AB: any objections?

   [ None ]

   AB: what about ta-HTgovPjElK?

   RB: it is redundant
   ... we can try to create something like an Acid test
   ... we can keep it

   MC: I don't think we want Acid tests at this point

   <drogersuk> That is potentially on the table for the future in MWI

   RB: we need feedback from implementors
   ... I think we just keep

   MC: I agree

   AB: any disagreements?

   [ No ]

P&C spec: bug in Rule for Identifying the Media Type of a File

   AB: Marcos identified a bug in the ABNF for zip relative paths (
   [29]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009JulSep/14
   75.html ). Marcin proposed a fix.
   ... have you looked at Marcin's patch?

[29] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 2009JulSep/1475.html

   MC: could change the prose instead of changing the ABNF
   ... option #2 is to just change some prose

   AB: options are to change the ABNF or the prose and there are two
   ways to handle it via prose changes

   MH: I don't think we need to update the prose but do need to change
   the ABNF

   MC: agree the ABNF has an ambiguity
   ... think we need to change ABNF and prose

   MH: I am OK with modifying both
   ... i.e. add sniffing

   AB: would like MC and MH to work on a proposal and submit it to the
   list

   MC: OK; I'll do that

   <scribe> ACTION: Marcos submit a proposal to address the Rule for
   Identifying MT of a file bug [recorded in
   [30]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/01-wam-minutes.html#action01]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-408 - Submit a proposal to address the
   Rule for Identifying MT of a file bug [on Marcos Caceres - due
   2009-10-08].

P&C: Proposal to move Conformance Checker assertions from P&C spec to
another doc

   AB: since we are not aware of any implementations of the Conformance
   Checker requirements, Marcos proposed (
   [31]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009JulSep/14
   76.html ) they be moved into a separate spec. Any comments on this
   proposal?
   ... does anyone object to this proposal?

[31] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 2009JulSep/1476.html

   RESOLUTION: P&C Conformance Checker requirements will be removed

   AB: we can figure out later how to handle it

   <darobin>
   [32]http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-pc-cc/Overview.src.html

     [32] http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-pc-cc/Overview.src.html

   MC: it's already in a new standalone doc

P&C: Test suite status

   <Marcos>
   [33]http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-pc-cc/Overview.src.html

     [33] http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-pc-cc/Overview.src.html

   AB: Marcos, Kai, Dom, et al. have done some good work on the P&C
   test suite (
   [34]http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/wiki/WidgetTesting#Widgets_1.0:_P
   ackaging_and_Configuration_spec ). What's the status of the test
   suite?

[34] http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/wiki/ WidgetTesting#Widgets_1.0:_Packaging_and_Configuration_spec

   <scribe> ACTION: barstow add FPWD discusion of CC spec to Oct 8
   agenda [recorded in
   [35]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/01-wam-minutes.html#action02]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-409 - Add FPWD discusion of CC spec to Oct
   8 agenda [on Arthur Barstow - due 2009-10-08].

   MC: all of the tests were verified during the test event
   ... that means someone checked each of them
   ... I now to copy them into the master XML file
   ... and check for consistency
   ... also need to remove some redundant assertions

   AB: what type of time frame?

   MC: about a week
   ... there are about 160 tests

   AB: are there still some TAs that are outside our repo?

   MC: no, I was told they are now in w3 domain

   AB: cool; last comments?

P&C: Next steps & planning

   AB: we've had a couple of thread related to next steps for P&C,
   latest one is (
   [36]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009JulSep/14
   99.html ). The fact is, sufficient issues have been identified in
   CR#1 that we must go back to Working Draft.
   ... although in theory we could skip CR#2, I am reluctant to do so
   as I indicated in (
   [37]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009JulSep/14
   99.html ). Any comments on that?

[36] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 2009JulSep/1499.html [37] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 2009JulSep/1499.html

   RB: I don't see any value in skipping CR#2
   ... same timeline diff

   <drogersuk> Art you stated that you don't know that anyone is
   implementing P&C - there are some public statements about that

   RB: we should go to CR ASAP

   DR: we have quite a few implementations we know about
   ... e.g. Microsoft
   ... we know Opera has implemented
   ... we think Nokia has as well

   AB: re the plan going forward, according to Dom, we can publish a
   new LC before CR#1 ends. This seems like a process bug to me because
   I think a reasonable interpretation of "a PR will not be published
   before Nov 1" is "I have until October 31 to submit comments about
   CR#1". As such, I'm concerned that publishing CR#2 on or before Oct
   31 could mean we miss comments.

   DR: how long is CR#2?

   RB: we must go to LC
   ... LC starts an exclusion period that lasts 8 weeks
   ... shortest LC period is 3 weeks

   DR: is this a sequential period?

   RB: during the exclusion period we can pub a new CR but we cannot
   exit CR

   BS: not sure about exclusion period

   RB: the only exclusion we have is on Updates spec
   ... DR was aksing about timeline

   <drogersuk> what would be the earliest date we could exit LC#2

   <drogersuk> a date to aim for

   RB: when ever we publish LC, we can expect to exit CR at the
   earliest about 8 weeks after entering LC

   <drogersuk> for CR

   <Steven> CR can be zero length

   DR: if we publish LC next week, earliest we can exit CR is 8 weeks
   later

   <drogersuk> So realistically we're looking at about Christmas eve?

   <drogersuk> A nice Christmas present?

   <drogersuk> lol

   AB: on the other hand, we all want P&C to continue to progress ASAP
   ... what needs to be done before we can publish a new LC?

   MC: we need to add fxes for ABNF
   ... need to remove redundancies
   ... before we publish a new doc want to have TS completed

   AB: note we must also address all other comments that came in during
   the CR e.g. the WAI P+F WG

   RB: we must address all comments before LC

   AB: agree

   <drogersuk> Art - I just noticed you're attributing some of Robin's
   comments to me :-) RB and DR

   AB: here is a pointer
   [38]http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/wiki/Widgets/PandC-LCWD-28May2009
   ... please respond to WAI comments
   ... anything else on P+C for today?

[38] http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/wiki/Widgets/PandC- LCWD-28May2009

   <Marcos> ACTION: Marcos to respond to
   [39]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009JulSep/08
   43.html [recorded in
   [40]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/01-wam-minutes.html#action03]

[39] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 2009JulSep/0843.html

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-410 - Respond to
   [41]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009JulSep/08
   43.html [on Marcos Caceres - due 2009-10-08].

[41] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 2009JulSep/0843.html

   RB: have we agree to a timeline for P+C?

   AB: AFAIC, we should publish a new LC when we are ready

   RB: Marcos, how much time do you think you need?

   MC: I will try for 1-week

   AB: I know I want some review time
   ... what do I review?
   ... is the TSE going to be the main spec?

   MC: yes but without the styles

   <Marcos> [42]http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets/Overview_TSE.html

     [42] http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets/Overview_TSE.html

   AB: so everyone should start reviewing the TSE

TWI spec: Closing widget Interface issues

   AB: the Instance versus Origin issue has plagued this spec for quite
   a while now (
   [43]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009JulSep/14
   56.html ). It appears there is now agreement to use Instance and to
   remove the dependency on Origin as defined in the Widget URI scheme
   spec.
   ... so we now need to agree on a defn of Instance, correct Marcos?

[43] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 2009JulSep/1456.html

   MC: yes that's true

   AB: what is the plan for a proposed definition?

   MC: I will check in changes soon

   RB: this change is OK with me

   MC: TWI has no dependency on URI spec
   ... defining Instance is a bit tricky

   <scribe> ACTION: marcos submit a proposal for the definition of
   Widget Instance [recorded in
   [44]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/01-wam-minutes.html#action04]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-411 - Submit a proposal for the definition
   of Widget Instance [on Marcos Caceres - due 2009-10-08].

TWI spec: TWI and View Modes

   AB: last week Marcin sent an email about TWI and View Modes spec (
   [45]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009JulSep/12
   03.html ).

[45] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 2009JulSep/1203.html

   MH: I have an answer to the main question
   ... it will need some discussion when we get to VM-I spec

   AB: anything else on this for today?

   [ No ]

TWI spec: A&E LC comments

   AB: Marcin sent two sets of comments re the TWI LC spec: (
   [46]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009JulSep/10
   80.html ) and (
   [47]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009JulSep/10
   81.html )
   ... do we have consensus yet?

[46] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 2009JulSep/1080.html [47] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 2009JulSep/1081.html

   MH: localization is still open
   ... and don't have consensus on features
   ... I still need to follow-up

   <marcin2> I plan to respond to
   [48]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009JulSep/11
   73.html

[48] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/ 2009JulSep/1173.html

   RB: I think we should push this to v2

   MH: I think there are use cases for these
   ... think we should follow-up on the list

TWI spec: Status of LC comment responses and their tracking

   AB: Marcos, what is the status of the TWI LC comment tracking doc (
   [49]http://www.w3.org/2006/02/lc-comments-tracker/42538/WD-widgets-a
   pis-20090818/ )?
   ... you want to maintain this doc even though we will publish a new
   LC

[49] http://www.w3.org/2006/02/lc-comments-tracker/42538/WD- widgets-apis-20090818/

   MC: yes; I think we need to do this because we may not get any
   comments during LC#2

   AB: so you will add all of the data?

   MC: yes
   ... there are only 3-4 threads

   AB: anything else on TWI for today?
   ... if we want to get a new LC before TPAC, we just have a few weeks

   6. View Modes Media Features spec:

View Modes Media Feature Spec

   AB: we still haven't published a FPWD of VM-MF spec. I think it is
   particularly urgent to get something published before we republish
   P&C spec so we have a "real" spec to reference (not just some ED).
   Robin sent some comments (
   [50]http://www.w3.org/mid/f4f5ecf4-4db8-4a8f-9744-7c6e0200a...@berjo
   n.com ).
   ... where are we?

[50] http://www.w3.org/mid/ f4f5ecf4-4db8-4a8f-9744-7c6e0200a...@berjon.com

   MH: I tried to address his comments
   ... I agree with all of them
   ... I changed the layout quite a bit, especially Section 3
   ... I will continue to work on it

   <darobin> +1

   AB: you think it is ready now for FPWD?

   MH: yes; want to get Public feedback now

   AB: if we were to record consensus now that it is ready for FPWD,
   then it could be published by Oct 6 and that would give MH some time
   to add prose.
   ... is this what we want to do?

   RB: yes; works for me

   MC: good plans

   MH: yes, OK

   AB: propose VM-MF spec is ready for FPWD
   ... any objections?

   [ None ]

   RESOLUTION: VM-MF spec is ready for FPWD

   <darobin> [51]http://www.w3.org/2005/07/pubrules

     [51] http://www.w3.org/2005/07/pubrules

   AB: I think MC and RB can help with pub rules

Widget URI spec

   <darobin>
   [52]http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-uri/Overview-LC.html

     [52] http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-uri/Overview-LC.html

   RB: I re-wrote it entirely
   ... it's much better
   ... think it is ready for LC

   MC: think it's good and fun to read
   ... it address the concerns I had

   AB: any other feedback?
   ... I haven't looked at it yet and want to review it
   ... how about we give people until Tues morning to submit comments
   and if none are submitted, I'll submit a Trans Req for LC?

   RB: OK with me

   MC: OK

   RESOLUTION: we will publish a LCWD of the Widget URI scheme spec if
   no major issues are raised by Oc 6

AOB

   AB: any topics?

   [ None ]

   AB: Meeting Adjourned

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: barstow add FPWD discusion of CC spec to Oct 8 agenda
   [recorded in
   [53]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/01-wam-minutes.html#action02]
   [NEW] ACTION: marcos submit a proposal for the definition of Widget
   Instance [recorded in
   [54]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/01-wam-minutes.html#action04]
   [NEW] ACTION: Marcos submit a proposal to address the Rule for
   Identifying MT of a file bug [recorded in
   [55]http://www.w3.org/2009/10/01-wam-minutes.html#action01]
   [NEW] ACTION: Marcos to respond to
   [56]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009JulSep/08
   43.html [recorded in