On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 7:25 AM, Bil Corry <b...@corry.biz> wrote:
> Would LockCA prevent the site from loading if it encountered a new cert from
> the same CA?

My understanding is that it would not.

> Or are you talking about a site that wants to switch CAs and is using LockCA?

I think Gervase means that you want some overlap so that folks that
connect to your site the day after you renew your certificate are
protected.

> How about instead there's a way to set the max-age relative to the cert
> expiration?  So -3024000 is two weeks before the cert expiration and 3024000
> is two weeks after.  I'm in agreement with Devdatta that it would be easy for
> someone to lock out their visitors, and I think this is easier to implement.

That seems overly complicated and contrary to the semantics of max-age
in other HTTP headers.

I'm not convinced we need to paternally second-guess site operators.
Keep in mind that the site operator can supply a lower max-age in a
subsequent request if they realize they screwed up and want to reduce
the duration.  That said, it might be worth caping the max-age at one
or two years.

Adam