+public-webapps, -team-webapps

On 2010-05-04 18:23, Arthur Barstow wrote:
The Selectors API Candidate says:

[[
http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/CR-selectors-api-20091222/

There are several known implementations believed to be complete and
interoperable (or on the point of being so) and the WebApps Working
Group expects to develop a test suite and use it to show that that these
implementations pass early in 2010. The Working Group does not plan to
request to advance to Proposed Recommendation prior to 30 April 2010.
There is no formal implementation report available at the present time.

]]

What's the status and plan for this spec?

I believe the test suite is nearly ready [1].

As I mentioned last year, Minefield currently passes 100% of the test suite. However, this has not yet shipped in a release build. I assume it will make it into the next major release after the current 3.6.x branch.

The browser used in the BlackBerry 9700 also reportedly passes 100% of the test suite.

Opera passes 100% of the baseline test suite. We have failures in the additional tests, which are related to bugs in our Selector implementation. This level of support has shipped in the recent 10.5x builds.

WebKit (Safari and Chrome) is still failing 16 of the baseline tests.

IE8 is failing 252 of the baseline tests. It exhibits a scripting error in the additional tests that prevents them from running, but I haven't investigated the cause.

I have not been able to test IE9 because I don't have access to Windows Vista or 7. I would appreciate it if anyone who has a copy of the last public development build, or someone from Microsoft, could report on the implementation status in IE9.

Given the implementations in Opera and Blackberry pass the baseline tests, we technically meet requirements in the proposed exit criteria [2], although I don't see any harm in waiting for the next major Firefox release build.

I think only released builds, as opposed to development builds, should be used for meeting the implementation requirement.

There was previously a question about whether JavaScript implementations should count, like JQuery. I don't think they should count because they are generally not subject to the same interoperability requirements as a native browser implementation are subject to. i.e. JavaScript implementations only have to work on sites where the author explicitly includes the script, browsers have to work on any site a user visits.

I think we should produce some kind of implementation report documenting the results for each browser.

P.S. Please feel free to send your response to public-webapps.

OK.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/selectors-api-testsuite/
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009AprJun/1221.html

--