On May 22, 2010, at 3:58 AM, Jeremy Orlow wrote:

> Even though no one is currently considering implementing this outside of
> JavaScript land and even though it'll limit us some and making speccing
> harder, I think it'd be a mistake to depend on JavaScript.  And, as far as I
> can tell, the whole point of WebIDL is to not depend on one single language.
> And I can't think of any others that do.

WebKit exposes Web APIs as part of the native API for embedders, this includes
Objective-C and GObject bindings. There have also been suggestions to add
bindings for languages such as Python, Java or Ruby. I think interfaces for Web
platform APIs should remain language-agnostic to the degree possible.

For the date issue specifically, we should consider adding a Web IDL date type
which could map to JavaScript Date objects and potentially native date types
for other languages, and something language agnostic for ether languages.

Regards,
Maciej