On 2010-10-09 20:27, Arun Raghavan wrote:
Hey folks,
Here's a patchset to change PA_VOLUME_MAX to (2^31-1), which is about half its
current value. This really should not impact anything significantly, since the
maximum gain we can apply decreases from ~289 dB to ~271 dB. Why this change is
good is that we can significantly simplify the software volume scaling
arithmetic, since the volume can always be treated as a signed number.

I am working on rewriting the volume scaling in Orc,

Could you elaborate on this? Is Orc a programming language? Are you saying that native PulseAudio should only compile on compilers that have "Orc" support?

and this would make that
considerably simpler (and more fruitful, since we'd have to jump through hoops
to deal with volumes>= 2^31 while doing signed multiplication). If we choose
to retain the old hand-optimised assembly, that should also benefit from this
change.

I'm not exactly sure where and for what PA_VOLUME_MAX is used, but does it correspond to 0 dB in any way? Thinking assembly, could it be that we have some e g fixed-point arithmetic that we must compensate?

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic