Hi all,

It seems the only way to achieve the above would be to script the
following:-

1. Obtain the default device using pacmd list-sinks | grep "*" or
similar
2. Get that device's current volume using some multi-line parsing of
pacmd list-sinks or pacmd info (output in %)
3. Convert the given % to the hex input expected by pacmd
set-sink-volume
4. Actually set the new volume

Is there an easier way to do this? pacmd isn't really VERY
script-friendly. To be fair that's probably not its purpose, I guess,
but it would be nice if Pulse as a Linux app was as scriptable as most
older Linux apps.

Alternatively, is there a 'shortcut' dbus method to do the above?

And yes, of course I could just use gnome volume control, not all
systems have gnome installed though (I'm looking at getting it off my
system actually, since I stopped using the DE itself).