Hi all,

I'm new to puppet put did a lot with cfengine2 at my last gig. I'm using
v0.25.4 (default) on Ubuntu Lucid but can upgrade to 2.6 if necessary.

I have a few hundred (with more on the way) machines in a new datacenter. I
for example:

sjc-web29
sjc-db35
sjc-smtp3

My nodes.pp is super-simple this way:

node default {
  include dsh
  include getty
  include grub
  include ntp
  include postfix
  include ssh
  include sudo
}

This worked really well in cfengine, allowing me to keep decisions
self-contained within individual modules. I'm trying to do the same with
puppet without any luck so far. Ideally I'd do something like:

$role = inline_template("<%= %x{/bin/hostname | /bin/sed -re
's/.*\-(\w+)[0-9]/\1/g'} %>")
tag("type_${role}")

And then do if tagged("role_smtp") within the modules. This keeps my high
level simple in that I just call modules and they do the right thing.

The problem is this doesn't seem to work. It seems that $role and the tags
never get set, even if I try to set them manually so I'm clearly doing
something fundamentally wrong.

Has anyone done this type of setup where all the decisions are made within
the modules themselves based on parts of a hostname or tags? I'm happy to
provide more information or post more bits of my config if needed.

Thanks!

Joe