On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 12:20 PM Josh Cooper <j...@puppet.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 7:32 AM Steve Huston <hus...@astro.princeton.edu>
> wrote:
>> Apr 21 10:25:03 coathook puppet-agent[11565]: Starting Puppet client
>> version 6.27.0
>> Apr 21 10:26:54 coathook puppet-agent[11569]:
>> (/Stage[main]/Puppet_agent::Install/Package[puppet-agent]/ensure)
>> change from '6.27.1-1.el7' to '6.27.0' failed: Could not update:
>> Execution of '/usr/bin/yum -d 0 -e 0 -y downgrade puppet-agent-6.27.0'
>> returned 1: Error: Nothing to do (corrective)
> This is a bug in the puppet_agent module when using the "auto" parameter, see
> https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/MODULES-11315 You can workaround the
> issue by specifying the desired version explicitly. The module assumes the
> version of the puppet library the compiler is using (derived from
> Puppet::PUPPETVERSION) is the same as the version of the puppet-agent
> package. The versions are usually updated together, but it is not always
> true, as sometimes we update ruby/openssl/curl in the puppet-agent package
> due to CVEs without making changes to the puppet library.

But what would I force it to?  6.27.1-1 isn't what the package reports
internally, so if I force that it'll find it via yum but then complain
on every run that the installed version is older than it should be,
then fail when the yum upgrade says it's already installed.  6.27.0
doesn't exist, so if I manually install 6.27.1-1 everywhere it will
complain that the installed version is newer than the forced one and
it can't find the old one to downgrade to.  So far I've just kept it
at 6.26.0 until they reach parity, I don't see any other way to
continue to use the puppet_agent module and do otherwise.

Based on the comments on the bug now that weren't there last week, I'm
guessing I'm not alone in this confusion, and staying at 6.26.0 until
the assumed 6.27.2 comes out is probably for the best.

--
Steve Huston - W2SRH - Unix Sysadmin, PICSciE/CSES & Astrophysical Sci
  Princeton University  |    ICBM Address: 40.346344   -74.652242