On Jun 1, 2011, at 1:30 PM, Jacob Helwig wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 23:58:24 +0400, Pavel Shevaev wrote:
>>
>>> Mitigation for 4:
>>> 1) If the combined size of the files are small, you can try using "content"
>>> instead of "source" for the files.
>>
>> Wow, that did the trick.... Thanks a lot! Deployment time is now 10-12
>> seconds. I'm a puppet newbie and don't quite understand why it worked
>> but it's great :)
>>

> So, the big difference there is that by using 'content', the file
> contents are shipped down to the agent as part of the catalog.
>
> With 'source', the agent will have to make a new HTTP request per file
> to get the content when it attempts to manage the resource.
>
> You end up saving a potentially large number of HTTP round-trips, which
> adds up.

So, to expand on this, the reason why the files need to be "small" is because
all the files's contents get sent every run, instead of the normal puppet
module that just sends the checksum and asks for the file if the checksum
doesn't match.  (As a trivial example, the file's checksum won't match if the
file is empty or doesn't exist.)