Doug,

We've been successful with software deployments and Puppet has done a
great job.  We deploy to Tomcat, JBoss, Coldfusion and Apache web
sited.  In some cases we've needed to tie in a shell script which were
nearly impossible to get right in Puppet.  One of the keys to your
question was that we created a "releases" directory and touch a file
with the software release number embedded in the name.  The release
number is defined in a puppet config and the process runs OnlyIf the
file doesn't exist.

John