Jesse Peterson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to both Ruby and Puppet. Puppet is fantastic - loving it so
> far.
>
> I created a new type & provider (of parsed file type) for modifying
> newsyslog.conf files and am hoping some folks would be willing to
> review it to make sure there are no glaring mistakes or perhaps some
> shortcuts or language features I've missed since I'm new to both. Any
> input would be welcome. Either email directly or just comment on the
> gist if it gets to be off topic:
>
> https://gist.github.com/1230749

Looks okay to me - I'd recommend writing some tests for it - ParsedFile
providers are notorious for subtle bugs and small changes causing odd
effects.

> How often do new types/providers make it into the base system? Should
> one pursue that avenue (or perhaps the puppet modules project?).

We're trying to keep the core lean and mean. So I'd recommend creating
and adding a module to the Forge (http://forge.puppetlabs.com) with your
new type and provider.

Regards

James