Hi all

There has been some discussion lately on the list about a change we made
to the website. The change removed the link that allows you to bypass
providing your email when downloading tarballs on this page:

http://info.puppetlabs.com/download-puppet-open-source

In light of that discussion we've decided to restore that link.

We’re sorry that the change was made without adequately consulting the
community. We’re committed to being as transparent and open as possible
about our business and how it interacts with the open source community.
In this case we screwed up and didn’t do a good job of that. We plan to
learn from that mistake and ensure it doesn’t happen again.

We also want to make clear that this page is just one of the many ways
you can get access to Puppet. The others include:

1. Github (for example https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/zipball/3.0.0)
2. Packages
(http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/puppetlabs_package_repositories.html)
3. RubyGems (gem install puppet)
4. From your favorite distribution or repository service such as EPEL.

You can see other methods here:
http://puppetlabs.com/puppet/puppet-open-source/.

A number of other comments were made about Puppet Labs commitment to
open source that we also want to address.

Puppet Labs remains committed to open source. We could not have gotten
where we are today without the support, enthusiasm and passion of the
open source community. Many of us at Puppet Labs have a long history of
involvement in open source and a strong commitment to the success of the
open source movement.

Puppet continues to be released under the Apache 2.0 license. Apache 2.0
is a free and open source license shared by a huge number of projects
including everything released by the Apache Foundation, for example the
Apache web server itself. The license provides you with free and open
source software as well as allows us to ensure Puppet becomes more
ubiquitous and widespread across the industry.

Puppet Labs has also continued to release and maintain Puppet, Facter,
mcollective, Hiera, and a number of other tools as open source tools. We
also plan to release new open source tools (as we did twice this year
with PuppetDB and Razor). We have no plans to stop doing this. Indeed
we've committed significant engineering resources to all these projects
(2447 commits to Puppet alone just this year!) and will continue to
build on this.

Puppet Labs is a business though. The reason we've been able to commit
so much to developing Puppet and its ecosystem is because we've sold
Puppet Enterprise to customers. Many in our open source community may
never buy Puppet Enterprise: it may not suit your price point, your
business or you may not have need of the features it offers. But every
license of Puppet Enterprise we sell pays engineers and allows us to
grow and develop the Puppet platform. As a result you’ll see a strong
focus on Puppet Enterprise on our website and in our marketing.

As we mentioned above we’re committed to being as transparent and open
as possible about our business and how it interacts with the open source
community. Please feel free to hold us to that commitment. We can’t
always guarantee we’ll be able to make everyone in the community happy
but we will be as clear and open as we can about the changes and
decisions we make.

Please feel free to reach out to me, Dawn Foster or anyone else at
Puppet Labs if you have any questions or concerns.

Kind Regards

James Turnbull

--
James Turnbull