On Thursday, January 9, 2014 7:40:42 AM UTC-5, pablo.f...@cscs.ch wrote:

>  Thanks for your suggestions,
>
> Running masterless is a bit too exotic, since we would like to use all
> those nice features that make a Puppet installation complete: specially
> hiera searches and PuppetDB. Modules, too, should be compatible with other
> clusters, so no big deviations can occur.
>
> Enabling auto-sign, as Jose Luis suggested, may be a possibility. I have
> just checked myself if autosign works if the same node was already
> registered in the CA... but according to the documentation it does not look
> like it, not to mention the security issues that come with it.

I have hundreds of systems built off a single image, and we use autosigning
to do it. Puppet 3.4.0 introduced policy based
autosigning<http://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppet/3/reference/ssl_autosign.html#policy-based-autosigning>.

Our image has a file which contains extra information to add to the
certificate signing request. One of these bits of information is a secret
key. The puppet CA server then has a script which authorizes autosigning
any requests which contain a valid secret key.

-Patrick