On 01/14/2015 09:55 AM, KEIGNAERT Mathieu wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am very new to puppet, I have been playing with puppet a long time
> ago, I haven't done anything recently with puppet but I try to follow it.
> One of my main concern with puppet and what I try to achieve is to
> have puppet running as both root and non root in the same time.
>
> It won't be a suprise to you but I want to use puppet as root user to
> setup and ensure the consistency of my server's configuration, and I
> would like my users to be able to use puppet to manage their
> applications configuration.
> I saw the video of Spencer, and now found this topic. As you correctly
> said, there is not a lot of documentation out there describing
> experience of people using puppet as non root.
>
> I believe things have changed since the last post on this subject here
> (Nov 2013) and I wanted to ask you guys if you have had some success,
> evolution in the way you use puppet as non root ? Anything changed
> with latest puppet versions to achieve this ?
>
> Mat

Hi,

I cannot supply a good user's perspective, but I run Puppet unprivileged
a lot, albeit for debugging and analysis only.

With Puppet 3.x, this works without issue. Users maintain individual
configurations in ~/.puppet/puppet.conf, and everything else defaults to
this location as well, e.g.

$vardir=~/.puppet/var

Just run `puppet agent --configprint all` to get a feeling of Puppet's
environment.

Sure, you cannot manage things from root's domain. Things like service
{} or package {} will not just work, although they are still viable for
e.g. the `base` provider for service, `gem` for package etc.

All things considered, I'm quite convinced that you can have a multitude
of agents sharing the same host, each with individual configuration and
data.

HTH,
Felix