Hi,

running puppet with --debug will show you the check command that is run
to determine whether the package needs updating. It yields a zero exit
code apparently, so the 'unless' dependency is not hit.

https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppetlabs-apt/blob/0e3220711ba9ce05715c39c22771e34b81b41382/manifests/force.pp#L55

HTH,
Felix