Hi,

what you're doing is more or less identical to "composite namevars". The
codebase has support for *actual* composites, but last I heard, it's a
very fragile construct. I cannot advise to try and use it. Your own
approach may well be more sane.

On 03/24/2015 02:40 PM, Nick Howes wrote:
> Where it falls over is when I try to use the `resources` type to purge
> unmanaged chains and rules. Unless the resource is declared with the
> exact name that would have been pregenerated, it gets confused and
> will create and destroy the resource alternately on each run.

So one run removes a resource named X-Y-Z and the next run creates one
with that same name? Huh.

> Is this because I'm committing a terrible abuse of resource names, or
> down to the nature of the `resources` type (which I understand is
> itself a bit of a hack)?

Ahhh, well...the resources type is an oddball and somewhat limited. It's
not so much of a hack that your scenario wouldn't work.

Pretty strange. Can you try and make sure that the resources that are
being purged are really not part of the catalog? (Examine client-yaml in
$vardir on the agent.)

Any chance that the magic you use to generate resource names is subtly
non-deterministic?

Cheers,
Felix