Hi,

thanks for reading :-)

Traditionally, you had to invoke `facter -p` to receive Puppet's custom fact from the facter CLI. When we penned the book, PL had just removed that option in favor of `puppet facts`.

Shortly after, it became clear that the latter does not quite cover all bases, and `facter -p` was brought back. Oops! Bottom line, unless you're quite unlucky, you can use either `puppet facts` or the more convenient `facter -p`.

As for the diagram: Facter in Puppet's context is not *quite* the same as the CLI, yes. Puppet loads Facter as a library and uses its API directly. Invoking `facter` from the shell uses the same fact code, but without the Puppet context.

In other words, Facter *can* stand on its own, but with Puppet, you mostly call it *through* Puppet. (Or pass the -p flag, so that Facter loads Puppet's facts vice versa.)

HTH,
Felix