https://docs.puppet.com/puppetserver/2.2/external_ca_configuration.html#disabling-the-internal-puppet-ca-service

I use that line and have puppetized builds for puppetmasters anyway. Albeit
that setting the Subject Alternative Name for the outside of the load balancer
takes slightly more effort than signing a cert for a standard puppetmaster.

https://docs.puppet.com/guides/scaling_multiple_masters.html#before-running-puppet-agent-or-puppet-master