On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 05:57:13AM -0700, Funsaized wrote:
>    Hello,
>
>    I am relatively new to puppet and am trying to develop a good workflow in
>    conjunction with git/github to keep a better version control system. The
>    version of puppet that I am working with and has been implemented is a bit
>    dated, and using R10k and developing a puppetfile would be quite time
>    consuming.

Yes it would be time consuming. It's worth the time. An upgrade would probably
help you too.

>    I know that R10k and dynamic environments is the recommended
>    way of doing things, though for now I'm not sure if its the best for my
>    scenario and how everything has been previously set up. My question is is
>    there a simple way to just map one git repo for each environment (dev, QA,
>    production, etc). That way changes could be made in the dev environment,
>    then moved over to the correct repos when the changes are confirmed in
>    order? Would this be as simple as declaring each folder withing the
>    /puppet/environments folder as a git repo and controlling that way?

Been there, tried it, moved to r10k. The above is a great way to see your
environments drift over time.

If you want each environment to be a separate git repo you can, but it sounds
like you may as well have them all as branches in a single git repo. That way
you can at least diff different branches easily and cherry pick single changes
from one to the other.

>    Deployment strategy
>
>    -       Upload changes to Dev repo
>
>    -       Deploy Dev changes to Dev master
>
>    -       Test
>
>    -       Merge Dev changes to QA repo
>
>    -       Rinse and repeat

What is QA for, in this scenario? Determining that you've brought up the
correct set of changes from dev? If so, why not use git itself to prove that
you've brought up the correct changes, as specified by git commits, to your
mainline branch?