On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 09:40:00PM +0000, R.I.Pienaar wrote:

> [...]

That's fairly aggregate. Were this issue of lengthy agent run times presented
to me I would start out being more interested in the resource types as they
might appear in the manifests. I've had success reducing catalog compilation
times by optimizing away from stacks of tiny resources (defines, classes, lists
of stale ensure=>absent resources).

Here's a contrived example but based on something that happened here.

# super puppetdb querying of all catalogs here
200 File
160 Class
140 Package
70 Customsoftware::Includefile

If they're all files this specific method won't be a useful count but the
notion of exploring just what's going on here is what I'm getting at.