While I am not the authority on the matter, it looks like the answer is no, and
the activerecord terminus is not part of puppet 4.

https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/PUP-4627
https://docs.puppet.com/puppet/4.8/lang_exported.html
https://docs.puppet.com/puppet/4.8/configuration.html#storeconfigs

Try grepping for activerecord in the puppet 3.x software:

https://apt.puppetlabs.com/pool/wheezy/main/p/puppet/puppet-common_3.8.7-1puppetlabs1_all.deb
https://apt.puppetlabs.com/pool/wheezy/main/p/puppet/puppet-el_3.8.7-1puppetlabs1_all.deb

wget file
ar x file
tar xf data.tar.gz
(repeat)
grep -r ActiveRecord usr

By contrast, there is no similar set of ActiveRecord calls in the puppet-agent
deb. (Obviously I don't have a great understanding of ruby coding!)

https://apt.puppetlabs.com/pool/jessie/PC1/p/puppet-agent/puppet-agent_1.10.1-1jessie_amd64.deb

Puppetdb is fairly easy to configure with the forge module, at least.

https://forge.puppet.com/puppetlabs/puppetdb

As a postscript, you may consider upgrading to puppet 4.10.1 or ensuring you
have some backported fixes out of this set:

https://docs.puppet.com/security/index.html