One of our guys did something similar a couple weeks ago and we didn’t have a
backup.  It sounds like ours was a little different in that the server was
running fine, remote agents could connect, process, etc, but the puppet
master’s agent refused to run.

Ours is a mono deployment on a single VM so I could take a snapshot and play
around with it.

In the end I did an upgrade to the latest 2018 ( it was 2017.x ) and everything
came up working.  I’m not sure if that will help you but it solved our problem.