Hi Callum,

in general we use Puppet to also manage the Puppet Server.
Usually we recommend using puppetlabs-puppetdb, which will take care on
postgresql and puppetdb and the required settings and even restart puppetserver
process.
Instead of trying to manually solve an issue, you should automate your
automation (which is your Puppet server).

hth,
Martin