I don't know anything about the Fez Hydra, but i have been thinking
about doing something very similar to your idea.

I definitely think something like this is possible, and perhaps using
the Puredyne broth to build a customized system for the instrument you
are trying to build could save some work.

I'd be interested in following up on this and helping out if possible.
 I'll take a look at the Fez Hydra and see if I have any more
thoughts.