Erm, now what?

What is the general consensus of where to go next...

I'm guessing that people are thinking of building on top of a minimal
debian type thing?  Some of my fellow laptoppers are really into Arch for
example, though they seem to be under the hood on a regular and critical
basis.

Any recommendations for audio based work?  I have also been thinking
recently about having something Puredyne-like as a general system and then
another install just for music - which for me is basically Pure Data, Jack
too I guess.

Saying that though it's never quite that simple is it.  I like the
occasional sensor and of course some network music can be fun (ethernet &
wireless)...and on it goes.

It was a goal of mine to do some building from source recently and I was
chuffed to pieces that I got some things to work, kind of.  There is a
definite sense of achievement when it goes and of course I want to maximise
the resources that are available to me computing wise.  I also have a
fairly bashed in Puredyne install atm that is in need of rescuing,
unfortunately I seem to have a ton of stuff that places greater demands on
my available time (me & my lovely wife have 6 kids between us - go
figure:)  You may note I haven't been offering my skills(ho ho) for
Puredyne dev work either.

Anyways, would be great to canvas some opinion and pointers from anyone who
can be bothered responding.

Cheers,

Julian
---