Hi Mark-

I tar the whole mess starting with ComSwiki on down and scp that to my archive hive.
As far as I remember tar treats binary files just fine.

-tim

Mark Johnson wrote:

Hi Tim,

Did you ftp these files in ASCII mode
by any chance? That can goof things up.

Good Luck,
Mark

Tim Born wrote:

Here's more data on a Swiki restore that doesn't work.

I restored Swiki from the day before the crash to a /tmp location.
Made sure the swiki service was not running.
Started swiki on the newly restored directory.

When I attempt to connect to one of the Swiki webs on this instance, I see the following:

The requested URL (http://redwest.ih.lucent.com:8000/Swiki3) was not found on this server. Click here <http://redwest.ih.lucent.com:8000/> to get a list of swikis on this site.

If I connect to the base address (port 8000 on this server) it shows the following:

Swikis on this Site

    * Swiki1 (51): a *refs* swiki
    * refs <http://redwest.ih.lucent.com:8000/refs> (14): a *refs* swiki
    * Swiki2  (17): a *refs* swiki

There are several Swiki webs missing from this list. The directory structure is there, and as near as I can tell doesn't look any different between the Swikis that are listed and the Swikis that are not listed.

If I follow the link to any of these Swiki webs, I get garbage like this:

Swiki2 Swiki

002 Planning

    * Error: this should not happen
    * Error: this should not happen

I do not understand how the indexing works. Is the linking entirely derived from the files & directories when Swiki starts up, or is there something in the Smalltalk image that holds the indexing information?

I've tried going further back in time to other backups with no better luck.

I'm open for suggestions folks. I wish things were as simple as you all describe, but that's just not what I'm seeing at this end.

-tim

Jochen F. Rick wrote:

I don't know why people are having problems with back-ups. The only thing you should need to do is move the backed-up swiki directory into the old location. If you want more advice, you will have to be much more concrete about the problem. Is there an error that happens? What exactly does your back-up feature do? I'd like to be more help here, put I can't.

As far as deleting pages, YOU CAN'T. You can however change a pages name and contents, thereby virtually deleting it. Simply edit it.

Peace and Luck!

Je77