Title: Emigrating from Ms to ?
Emigrating from Ms to ? Currently I have got myself in a bit of a muddle, and Windows is like a pair of cement shoes.
I'm removing it in stages.
My high level preference (upperCASE) is the simple FAT file system.

Note A:  upper CASE ~ Computer Assisted  System Engineering.
          lower CASE ~ Computer Assisted Software Engineering

Done so far in the client side:
1. Reduced Windows98se to bare minimum.
2. Installed Netscape.
3. Installed StarOffice.
4. gathering tools to keep the platform fit, but those "cement shoes" keep on giving me heaps of trouble.

What next?
4. Install ComSwiki on ?? Now I'm already in over my head.
    Is going server-side too risky of should I continue using a web host?

Note B: I like and trust Smalltalk in general and the ComSwiki but not the existing OS's, which seem to demand too much attention.
I am at a loss as to why Smalltalk is not its own OS, like with Tektronix. (Travels With Smalltalk)
My happy client side experience to date is with [V (for the XT) and V286 and St Express] on simple DOS and a stripped down Win311 ( about 1.5Meg) + St Express.
But that is all out of date now.

>From here on I'm a bit confused.
Note C:
Sorry the urgency of my project prohibits me from being drawn into any specific language or IDE.
I have lost too much valuable research material by taking risks.
The weak link in my platforms seems to always come down to the choice of OS.
Tips welcome.
JW