On Tue, 2011-08-09 at 10:16 +1000, Joseph Prince wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an Android device and I want to install pytest on it.
>
> At the moment, I could invoke Python (my version of Python is 2.6.2).
> I tried the usual way to install "setuptools".
as far as i understand a source-install of setuptools is the best for
you

> I tried to install a setuptools-0.6c11-py2.6.egg from the webpage
> (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools#cygwin-mac-os-x-linux-other).
> so that I can install pytest on
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pytest/2.1.0 When I tried to run the shell
> for the .egg file, it gives me this error:-
>
> # sh setuptools-0.6c11-py2.6.egg
> dlopen libpython2.6.so
> error: invalid Python installation: unable to
> open
> /data/data/com.googlecode.pythonforandroid/files/python/lib/python2.6/config/Makefile
>  (No such file or directory)

eggs are a tricky format, try a source install from a tarball using
setup.py, in case of doubt, grab distribute (which is a drop in enhanced
replacement for setuptools)

> Did I miss out any important steps? Please advise.

currently i'm not aware of the platform limitations of python on
android,
it seems it has some slight differences from a normal linux python
install
(like the missing Makefile the egg complains about)

Currently Holger and me don't own Android devices,
so please keep us updated on your findings.

-- Ronny