On Dienstag 02 Juni 2009, Marcel Krause wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I try to install PyCUDA von WinXP SP 3. Most of the problems were
> solved with a little editing:
> * updating the DEFAULT_VERSION in ez_setup.py

This'll be unnecessary once 0.93 is out. Thanks for the reminder, though.

> * let setup.py search for "nvcc.exe" instead of "nvcc"

Good point. This is now done by default. That change will be in 0.93 and is
also in git master.

> But now I'm stuck: "setup.py install" gives me "vc.exe failed with
> exit status 2". Does anyone have any idea what that could mean?

From a distance, this looks like a compiler bug. In my book, a compiler should
either succeed or fail with an error message. VC doesn't seem to do either in
this instance. Any VC gurus here? What version of VC are you using?

> I post the other messages at the bottom of this mail, and also
> my siteconf.py. I'm not sure whether I have the right paths in
> there - can anyone tell me examples of files that I could search
> to make sure I have the right path configured, and find the paths
> that I don't yet have? (Like CUDADRV_LIB_DIR.)

You BOOST_PYTHON_LIBNAME is likely wrong--it refers to "gcc", and you're
compiling with msvc. But that's likely not the root of your current problem.

> configure.py runs without errors, but does not insert any paths
> at all into the siteconf.py, so I have to find them all manually.
> Not quite easy, because I have very lots of directories that are
> named "lib", "include" and so on. :)

Hmm, configure.py was designed as just a commandline way of filling out
siteconf.py--it wasn't meant to really detect anything. I realize that the
name breeds expectations that it doesn't meet. I'll think of something. :)

Andreas