On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 15:59:50 +0200, Tomasz Rybak <bogom...@post.pl> wrote:
> Hello everyone.
> Recently I started looking into cooperation between PyCUDA and OpenGL.
> It works (I am getting segfaults at the end of my program but I might
> not be cleaning some object properly).

Shouldn't happen. Can you send tracebacks of these crashes?

> During reading documentation and looking at PyCUDA sources
> I noticed that PyCUDA uses pycuda.gl.BufferObject, which uses
> cudaGLMapBufferObject, cudaGLRegisterBufferObject, and
> cudaGLUnregisterBufferObject. They are described as depreciated
> in NVIDIA CUDA reference and programming guide.
> I would like to try to switch PyCUDA to using
> cudaGraphicsResource (and other functions from this family)
> if noone is already doing this.
>
> Questions:
> 1. Is is possible to do this for 0.94, or should I wait for 0.95?

I was going to release 0.94 next week (headed to Nvidia's GTC next
weekend). I'd prefer to wait till 0.95 with anything that breaks API.

> 2. Should I try to change existing classes (BufferObject) or
> create new ones, and existing ones will be tagged "depreciated"?

Definitely new classes, deprecating the old ones.
(ps deprecate != depreciate :-])

> Two possible problems for now:
> 1. I only have NVIDIA 9400M (NVIDIA ION) GPU with capabilities 1.1.

I'd be happy to test for you on my GTX260 if that helps.

> 2. Debian has 195.x drivers and CUDA 3.1 does not work well with
> those drivers. There is plan to get 256.x drivers, but because of Debian
> freeze it will not be fast. Now focus is on polishing existing driver
> packages and on supporting legacy hardware.

Do the 195 drivers have the new GL sharing API?

Andreas