Hello,

I’m pretty familiar with CUDA (writing code since CUDA3.0), but PyCUDA is quite
new for me.

I’ve been asked to configure our code that runs on CUDA 6.5, to run on GeForce
GTX 1080 (compute capability 6.1).

OS is Windows 64bit, CUDA version – 6.5, GPU devices that should be supported:
GeForce GTX 980Ti (compute capability 5.2) and GeForce GTX 1080 (comp.cap.
6.1), Python version – 2.7.

NVidia driver was updated (much after the CUDA), to support both the new 1080
and the old 980Ti cards.

Just to answer  the question before it’s asked – there are some technical
reasons that prevent us from moving now to CUDA 8.0 or 9.0 (it will be done
some time later, but the new cards have to be supported today, with the old
CUDA and all the existing code…).

The usual C/C++ code, compiled with nvcc with sm 52 (sm 50 is ok too), with
CUDA6.5 – runs fine on both 980Ti and 1080.

The same “trick” (nvcc with sm 52 or 50), and compilation to .cubin files from
python – gives the following error when trying to run:

pycuda._driver.LogicError: cuModuleLoadDataEx failed: invalid source –

The only guess I have is that the pycuda package (which was installed from
binary distribution) - was linked with too old version of NVIDIA binaries (such
as driver rt), and I need to recompile the pycuda sources with the current
packages installed on my system.

Am I right? Or there is another explanation for this?

I’ve been looking for an answer in many blogs, but nobody describes my problem…

Any help is appreciated!

Sharon.