You can read more about what's happening in the SDL world here -

http://www.libsdl.org/cgi/docwiki.cgi/FAQ_20SDL_20Version_202

Although it would be fair to say movement is slow. On the other hand, SDL +
PyGame both work fine, I don't see a real urgent need for a ton of extra
features.

--
Science is open source religion