​Hi,

As to finding the commit, can't one find the place where the behavior is
implemented, and then check the logs for that line/file to see which commit
introduced it? A trivial search of my email for "SRCALPHA" produces the
thread "trouble w/ SRCALPHA in 1.9.2-cp27
<http://archives.seul.org/pygame/users/Nov-2017/msg00038.html>", where this
same issue was raised (ref. issue #340
<https://bitbucket.org/pygame/pygame/issues/340/surfaceconvert-does-not-remove-the>
on Bitbucket, by presumably-same user even). At the time no one stepped
forward to address it significantly.

As to whether the behavior is good, I contend it is bad. SRCALPHA and
per-surface alpha are *very* different, and confusing them is a classic
newbie mistake. Now, I don't use the flags myself, and even presuming
pygame uses them internally, I use per-surface alpha rarely at-most, so it
doesn't really affect me. But it is semantically incorrect.

Ian