HI,

I recently brought up a similar thing on this list a couple of weeks ago.  I am
using Python 3.7 with Pygame on my Mac with no problems, but I had heard of
problems with 3.8.  Here is a response from Thomas Kluyver to my question:

---------------
Hi Irv,

If I recall correctly, the issue was that there aren't pre-built wheels for
pygame with Python 3.8 - looking at the PyPI files
(https://pypi.org/project/pygame/#files
<https://pypi.org/project/pygame/#files> ), it's only built for Windows at the
moment. So it's not incompatible, but it's more complicated to install it on
Linux & Mac than if you use Python 3.7.

From what you say, a setup that you know works is probably preferable to using
the latest Python version.

Best wishes,
Thomas

So, if possible, I would downgrade your Python to 3.7.x and see if that fixes
this problem.

Irv