I've been using PyPortMidi
http://alumni.media.mit.edu/~harrison/code.html

Which is a wrapper around PortMidi from CMU:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~music/portmusic/

PyPM itself is a couple years old and written in Pyrex, and it would
probably be possible to re-implement what it does with ctypes.
I've only successfully tested this on windows XP so far, but PortMidi
is described as having good cross-platform support.

Colin