Hello there,

I just stumbled across your page via the gnome development link.
It might be possible that libglade is exactly what I was looking
for; I am one of the main authors of a 3D visualizing tool (big,
powerful, currently not GPLed but hopefuly soon)  called Janus. Janus
is written in C++ and very object orientated. The GUI is made with the
use of Motif and the MotifTools library, all layouts are saved in
appdefault files, even the binding of buttons to the related functions
is handled by those files and can be changed at runtime.

Now what I am looking for is a possibility to replace Motif, either
with gtk or qt - but I would like to keep the "Apdefault-File" feature,
(only rewriting them in another syntax).

Do you think the libglade can solve this task? I just tried a quick
installation and had some smaller compiling problems (SGI, IRIX 6.5)
which surely could be solved if the library is worth it - as I understood
the docu on the first glance it is. What I would like to know is:

  o do you think the libglade is stable enough ? Are there any known
    bugs ?

  o is it possible not only to save layouts but also the functions and
    arguments at runtime ? Currently we are using two functions
    that can be attached via the .ad files to any widget using
    a self-build runtime type conversion class.

  o what is the current state of the library. Is it still be heavily
    improved and developed ? Is it "finished" and stable ? Is it
    dead or lacking programmers ?

Thank you very much in advance and sorry for the email - it got a bit
more lengthy then intended ;)

Ingo