Anthony Tekatch wrote:

>I am using Redhat 7.2 with Ximian. I cannot easily remove esound since it
>is woven into many other packages. Just installing from the esound source
>did not solve any problems for me so instead I removed Gnome dependcies
>from my pygtk application (gonvert) and now I don't have to worry about
>gnome-python bindings for now.
>
>I don't feel like installing "bad-ass" software on my system (garnome)
>just yet :)

The cause of the problem is that various distributions have started
removing the .la files from their packages (Red Hat and Ximian, for
instance).  Their reason for doing this is that the libtool .la files
can cause problems when building software.  Eg. for a package that
includes a library and a few utilities, if you do a buildroot install
(like you would when building a binary package), libtool would decide to
link the utilities against the installed version of the library, rather
than the newly built version.  This would cause problems if the
installed version had a different soname than the new version (you
wouldn't be able to cleanly upgrade).  Also, for systems with proper
shared library dependencies (most systems these days), the .la file
doesn't provide any extra information.

The downside is that .la files try to pull in the .la files of other
libtool libraries when you link a program.  So if you try and link a
program to libB.so/libB.la, which was built on a system with libA.so
installed, but your system is missing libA.la, you will get an error.
 You can fix the error by deleting the libB.la file, so that libtool
just lets the linker find things.

What this means is that any of the .la files have been removed, you are
best off removing _all_ of them.  Otherwise the effort spent removing
the .la files will cause about as many problems as you had to start with.

James.

--
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]              | Linux.conf.au   http://linux.conf.au/
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/ | Jan 22-25   Perth, Western Australia.