Tanya Brethour wrote:

I'm been reading the FAQ fro pygtk
(http://www.async.com.br/faq/pygtk/index.py?req=all#2.1) and trying to
understand exactly what I am doing wrong. (keep in mind this is more
difficult for me since I am new to python as well as gtk).

First some background information. I am running Mandrake 9.0 that has GTK
1.2 and 2.0. It also has pygtk 0.6.9 (rpm pygtk-0.6.9-3mdk). So right now
when calling "import gtk" it looks in /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages and
finds the gtk.py module.

Now I want to move to pygtk-1.99.13 but still keep pygtk-0 still working. I downloaded it and installed it at /usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages

So from reading the FAQ... I can not do the pygt.require stuff because I
only have pygtk 0.6.9 (I'd rather not upgrade for fear of breaking
exisiting system guis that use it). So I looked at the two solutions...I
picked the first one. I installed it in a separate directory
(/usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages). I added that path to my
PYTHONPATH environment variable.
So now... I have a couple of questions

1) Shouldn't there be a gtk.py in /usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages? I am only seeing pygtk.py. So calling import gtk only gets the old pygtk.
2) Now when I put that path into my PYTHONPATH environ variable.. does it
go to that directory first before the "default" (not sure if its termed
default.. but the one that is in /usr/lib/python2.2)

Of course.. I would be totally confused at this point. :) But I'd
appreciate any more details about the first solution mentioned in the FAQ
and how I am straying from it.

If you want to get pygtk 0.6.x and 1.99.x to coexist nicely, you will need to upgrade to your pygtk to 0.6.11 (0.6.9 will cause problems). Then simply install the two pygtk's (preferably under the same prefix as Python itself). The "import pygtk; pygtk.require('1.2')" trick will then make sure you are using the old pygtk. They will install a pygtk.pth file that Python will parse on startup that will make one of the versions available on startup (whichever you installed last).

James.

--
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] | Linux.conf.au http://linux.conf.au/
WWW: http://www.daa.com.au/~james/ | Jan 22-25 Perth, Western Australia.