Sorry for the noice. I figured this out myself. It was so easy that I'm
a little embarrased...

I just store the fonts in for example ~/.fonts, as explained in
http://www.gimp.org/unix/fonts.html

Now I have to figure out how to display the correct glyphs from the font,
since it is not in a standard encoding.

Tom Cato