Hello,

I wrote a small editor targeted at handhelds, which I used to use on an ipaq and which is now running on a Zaurus. For a bettere use of the higher screen resolution, I need a new simple feature: paragraph justification, where a paragraph is a block of text delimited by empty lines (I am using this editor mainly on TeX files). Therefore, I start by jumping at the beginning of the paragraph, as follows:

        buffer = self.get_buffer()
        curr = buffer.get_iter_at_mark(buffer.get_insert())
        res = curr.backward_search('\n\n', 0)
        if res:
            par_start = res[1]
        else:
            par_start = buffer.get_start_iter()
        buffer.place_cursor(par_start)

Apparently, this works if I am in the middle of the paragraph; but if I am at the very beginning, it finds a match somewhere FORWARD in the middle of the paragraph; and in some cases from the new position the cursor also jumps back to the second character in the paragraph, and there it stays if I keep on searching. I am really confused; am I doing something inherently wrong, did I miss something, or is this a bug?

I have pygtk 2.6.2 and python 2.4.2. Upgrading is not really feasible because I don't have enough RAM on my PC to run OpenEmbedded and recompile everything, so I am using precompiled packages.

Any hint is welcome... thanks!
Francesco.