Here you are:

#buind the menu
menu = gtk.Menu()

#create an item
item = gtk.ImageMenuItem(gtk.STOCK_COPY)
item.connect ("activate", myfunction, None)

#append it
menu.append(item)

#built the submenu
submenu = gtk.Menu()

#well... append the same item built before
submenu.append(item)

#build another item and attach it the sub menu
item = gtk.ImageMenuItem(gtk.STOCK_EDIT)
item.set_submenu(submenu)

#all together
menu.append(item)

I think you problem was that you was trying to use "activate" signal to
launch the submenu as another popup. It is simplier :-D

El Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:22:41 +0400
Igor Mammedov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> escribió:

> Hi Everyone!
>
> I've following menu structure:
>
> Menu
>   Filter1 (MenuItem with submenu)
>         Filter2 (MenuItem)
>
> When I click on Filter1 menu popup disappears and I app
> receives 'activate' signal.
>
> Question is how can I get the same effect on Filter1?
>  (i.e. when I click on Filter1, app shall at least close
>   whole popup menu and possibly generate 'activate' signal)

In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?