On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 13:44 +0800, eric wrote:
> I use pygtk develop a program, demand is this:
> The main window to pop up a sub-window, some of the data entered
> above, and then click "OK" button, obtain input and processed into the
> database and finally close it.
>
> Now that is what I resolved:
> 2 windows each corresponding to a class, the main window create the
> child window and  pass it's address into the child window , sub-window
> get user input and calls the main window methods to perform data
> processing.
>
> Such a solution did not feel good, is there any better way? For
> example: transfer messages...etc
> on windows, i can send messages between window, I would like to know
> what is normal practice on pygtk.

In my opinion, the "pygtk way" if there is such a thing, is to make
greater use of signals father than function callbacks explicitly. The
following pseudocode might give you some ideas;

class OtherW(gtk.Window)
    def get_data_user_entered(self):
        return 42

class W(gtk.Window):
    def user_clicked_button(self):
        self.ow = OtherW()
        self.ow.button.connect("clicked", self._get_data)

    def _get_data(self, *args):
        data = self.ow.get_data_user_entered()

w = W()
w.show_all()