Hi all,

I have a large python codebase developed inside PyCharm. I want to use
PyInstaller for obvious reasons; however, I'm struggling with relative
paths for data files due to the project code file hierarchy.

The file hierarchy was a usual top-down structure, i.e., the point of
execution is within a file found in the project root folder, with the
additional python files stored in a sensible folder, *(please pay
particular attention to the version.txt file on the same level as the
Main.py file)* e.g.,
Project/
--Main.py
--version.txt
--Engines/
----somefile.py
--Controllers/
----somefile.py
--Entities/
----somefile.py

A year ago, I built a GUI front end whilst maintaining the console-based
point of execution. The GUI point of execution is within MainGUI.py. But
that file is not at the project root. It looks a bit like this:
Project/
--Main.py
--version.txt
--GUI/
----MainGUI.py
--Engines/
----somefile.py
--Controllers/
----somefile.py
--Entities/
----somefile.py

Inside MainGUI.py, I have the code to open the "../version.txt" file:
with open("../version.txt") as file: version = file.readline().strip()

I navigate to the Project/GUI folder in the PyCharm Terminal and
execute pyinstaller MainGUI.py --onefile It seems to work until I try and
execute the built MainGUI.exe. I'm given the error:
Traceback (most recent call last): File "MainGUI.py", line 10, in <module>
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '../version.txt'
[17232] Failed to execute script 'MainGUI' due to unhandled exception!

I could move the version.txt file to be on the same level as MainGUI.py,
but this was a reduced example. There are lots of data files referenced
using relative paths.

I would be grateful for any assistance. Thank you.