I found a recent working solution by muyustan on stackoverflow,  python -
Bundling data files with PyInstaller (--onefile) - Stack Overflow
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7674790/bundling-data-files-with-pyinstaller-onefile/13790741#13790741>
I was led to it by trying a program by auto-py-to-exe, which is very good
and I recommend.
It seems crazy to me that this doesn't get prominent billing on the
PyInstaller user guide.