Eric,

Good Idea & done with the os.devnull solution!

Steve

From: pyinstaller@googlegroups.com <pyinstaller@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of
Eric Fahlgren
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2023 3:09 PM
To: pyinstaller@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [PyInstaller] ValueError: Unable to configure formatter 'default'

Steve,

That seems common and broad enough that you should consider adding a wiki page
for it...
https://github.com/pyinstaller/pyinstaller/wiki/Recipes

Eric

On Tue, Apr 25, 2023 at 10:42 PM Steve Barnes
<gadgetst...@live.co.uk<mailto:gadgetst...@live.co.uk>> wrote:
Hi Alisha,

I have seen this problem before and eventually figured out the cause. You are
directly or indirectly using either stdout or stderr as an out put for logger
but pyinstaller and some or most exe builders produce exes which, when running
in Windowed mode, set both of these to None and logger fails like this because
None as the exception says doesn’t have an istty or any other methods.

Some possible solutions include:

  *   Set the application to be a console application so that it will open a
terminal window (it can still use the GUI but log messages will go to the
terminal quick but dirty
  *   If the application has the frozen attribute or set sys.stdout is None and
no log file is specified then create your logger with the file set to
os.devnull this will discard all logs
  *   Use
logging.NullHandler<https://docs.python.org/3/library/logging.handlers.html#nullhandler>
 if frozen or sys.stdout is None.
  *   Always log to a file but please consider using
logging.RotatingFileHandler<https://docs.python.org/3/library/logging.handlers.html#rotatingfilehandler>
 as the default handler if frozen or sys.stdout is None.

Hope that this helps.

Steve