Thanks everyone: that is super helpful - thank you for all the suggestions
and for the recommendations - I definitely was not paying attention to the
versions issues there, but you are absolutely right that the version
discrepancies must be the difference in the behavior?

That is very, very weird about the python 3.11 --> 3.10 behavior? I will
keep a careful eye on that from now on? I can't image how/why that
happened? I do have multiple python version installed on my computer of
course, but I has assumed the venv would always be the environment being
used...  Perhaps I will just do some uninstalling of the old versions and
try and reduce the variables here.

in any event - this gives me enough to work with - thank you!
-Ed